[RESOLVED] [OUTAGE] login2 ssh can get in over IPv6, but from 2 sites, not IPv4

I have successfully logged into login2 using the ‘-6’ flag on the ssh command line. However, from home and from my commercial server, I cannot connect to login2 via SSH over IPv4. My commercial shared server (cheapest kind) hasn’t enabled IPv6 yet.

I wonder if somehow both servers (home and commercial) got into fail2ban.

We’ve gotten several reports, and not just about login2, so it’s not just you. Thanks for this (IPv4 vs. IPv6) detail. I am collating the reports we have received and reaching out to campus networking and security to see what changed on their end. I appreciate your patience as we try to get this resolved.

WCOM-LP cannot log in to ftp to login.ibiblio.org. Connection timeout. Cannot connect to servier.

Unable to access login2.ibiblio.org from radio station using sftp. But, I can access from home.

lC:\Users\Hosts>sftp -6 -v wcom@[2610:28:3090:3001:0:bad:cafe:136]
OpenSSH_for_Windows_8.1p1, LibreSSL 3.0.2
debug1: Connecting to 2610:28:3090:3001:0:bad:cafe:136 [2610:28:3090:3001:0:bad:cafe:136] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 2610:28:3090:3001:0:bad:cafe:136 port 22: Unknown error
ssh: connect to host 2610:28:3090:3001:0:bad:cafe:136 port 22: Unknown error
Connection closed

C:\Users\Hosts>sftp -4 -v wcom@login2.ibiblio.org
OpenSSH_for_Windows_8.1p1, LibreSSL 3.0.2
debug1: Connecting to login2.ibiblio.org [152.19.134.135] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 152.19.134.135 port 22: Connection timed out
ssh: connect to host login2.ibiblio.org port 22: Connection timed out
Connection closed

Apologies for the impact here. The soonest we can resolve this is Monday the 29th in the morning EST, as that is when the staff responsible for the networking equipment involved here will be available to make changes.

Hi, you already have lots of reports, but anyway adding mine, in case the port number is now an issue…
Cannot ssh to login.ibiblio.org, port 22, user “easyos”

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation. We are in contact with folks from the Security part of the organization and are waiting on confirmation from a colleague in Networking. We will update here when we believe things are fixed.

This issue, which impacted any off-campus ssh connection inbound to one of ibiblio’s VLANs, should now be resolved. We will work with campus partners to be slow, deliberate, and communicative about future network changes like this. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Just an FYI that the campus networking group is revisiting the change that caused the outage above today at 3p EST. The change should be limited in scope this time and should NOT impact login2 or any of several other hosts that were impacted last time. If you have not received a message directly from me today, your host(s) should not be impacted. If you do see that you’re unable to connect, please update here with what host you were trying to connect to and what error message(s) you got.